The parish of Wood Walton now contains 3,882 acres of land and 16 acres of water. A considerable part of the parish is occupied by Walton Fen, which has been drained for many years. The subsoil is mainly Oxford Clay.
The Isle of Higney was formerly part of Wood Walton parish, but when Sir Henry Cromwell sold Wood Walton manor in 1568 to Thomas Cotton and William Lawrence he reserved the Isle of Higney and attached it to Ramsey, forcing his tenants there to pay tithes to Ramsey. The village lies two miles to the north-west of Abbots Ripton, where there is a station on the London and North Eastern Railway.
At the northern end of the parish there are what remains of the motte and moats of Woodwalton castle, and to the south-east of the village there is another large inclosure, surrounded by a moat. In 1886 a hoard of Roman coins was dug up in the parish.
Victoria County History: Huntingdonshire ~ Printed 1932